Wiregrass Suicide Prevention Services is a nonprofit organization servicing the Wiregrass area, whose mission is to provide services to those who have been affected by suicide and to provide support services to prevent suicide.
More than 32,000 Americans die each year as a result of suicide. Every suicide affects a minimum of at least 6 other people profoundly. The stress of a loss of someone to suicide is ranked very close to the stress of being in a war zone, and it often results in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Untreated depression is the number one cause of suicide. At WSPS we want to offer HOPE to those who suffer, by removing barriers to treatment and by offering counseling and therapy to those who may be thinking of suicide and those who have lost a loved one to suicide.
DID YOU KNOW?
- There are now twice as many deaths due to suicide as to HIV/AIDS.
- Every 16 minutes another life is lost to suicide.
- Every day 86 Americans take their own life and over 1,500 attempt suicide.
Suicide is a major cause of death in the U.S. and also contributes significantly to disability and suffering through the hundreds of attempts occurring each day. Suicide is a serious national and local health problem. Suicide is everyone's problem. For every suicide death there are 5 hospitalizations and 22 Emergency Department visits for suicidal behaviors, resulting in over 670,00 visits per year, costing billions of dollars in health care costs. Many of those who make a suicide attempt never seek help or follow up with professional care immediately after the attempt. Often, attempters are not referred for follow up services or, if referred, never keep the first appointment.
PROTECTIVE FACTORS FOR SUICIDE:
- Effective clinical care for mental, physical, and substance use disorders.
- Easy access to a variety of clinical interventions and support for help-seeking.
- Restricted access to highly lethal means of suicide.
- Strong connections to family and community support.
- Support through ongoing medical and mental health care relationships.
- Skills in problem solving, conflict resolution, and nonviolent handling of disputes.
- Cultural and religious beliefs that discourage suicide and support self-preservation.
These protective factors are what we want to provide to the Wiregrass area.
IF YOU NEED HELP NOW, CALL 1-800-SUICIDE OR 911. WE CAN BE REACHED AT 334-792-9814 OR BY USING 211, AND SOMEONE WILL CALL YOU BACK.
Services available in Spanish also.